GPY + Associates Engineering Inc. has extensive experience in all building types and classifications. Following is a short listing of representative projects and achievements:
LEED PLATINUM CERTIFICATION: GPY+ Associates Engineering Inc. is the engineer of record for the Chapel View Apartments building in Brampton Ontario. Chapel View was the first residential building in Canada to be certified as LEED Platinum. The building is 15 stories in height, 200 apartments, with 6 levels of underground parking, and was completed in 2010.
PAUL OBERMAN AWARD FOR ADAPTIVE REUSE (CORPORATE): GPY+ Associates are the mechanical engineers for the Junction Brewery’s new home in a 1930s industrial incinerator (“The Destructor”). The project received the Paul Oberman Award for Adaptive Reuse (Corporate) in 2018.
HIGH RISE RESIDENTIAL: GPY+ Associates has designed numerous high rise residential buildings including:
- Chapelview Apartments, Brampton: 15 storey, apartment building, 200 suites, 5 levels of underground parking. Granted LEED Platinum status in 2010.
- 247 Queen Street Brampton: 15 storey apartment building, 205 suites, 2 levels undergound parking.
- 131 University Ave West, Waterloo: 18 storey apartment building, 92 suites.
- 256 Sunview Street, Waterloo: residential development consisting of three separate buildings: one 6 storey building and two 13 storey buildings. 298 suites in total.
- 256 Lester Street, Waterloo: 12 storey apartment building 122 suites.
- 77 Leland Street, Hamilton: 6 storey 124 suite apartment building.
- Royal York Grand Condominiums, Toronto: 15 storey condominium tower, 3 levels of undergound parking.
- 256 Rideau Street, Ottawa: 27 storey twin apartment towers.
Toronto Montessori School – Bayview Campus Addition and Renovations
The Bayview Campus of the Toronto Montessori School provides educational programs for students from 18 months to Grade 6. Major expansion to the existing school, including addition of new Gymnasium, lockers and showers, Adminstrative offices, and new Lobby/ Atrium. Construction budget: $9 million.
Toronto Montessori School – Elgin Mills Campus Addition and Renovations
The Elgin Mills Campus of the Toronto Montessori School provides educational programs for students from Grades 7 to Grade 12. Major expansion to existing school, including new Dining Hall and commercial kitchen, new Student Commons and main Entrance Lobby, new North Corridor link to existing school. Construction budget: $6 million.
Montcrest School Redevelopment
Montcrest School is a private school providing education from Junior Kindegarten to Grade 8 in Toronto. The redevelopment is a $10.2 million redevelopment that constructs a new 2 storey facility that also connects to the existing senior building (650 Broadview Avenue) and to 658 Broadview Avenue, both of which are historical buildings. GPY+ Associates provided the mechanical design for the project, which used high efficiency VRF air conditioning/ heating pump units, heat recovery units for ventilation air, and full Building Automation System for HVAC control systems.
Phasing of construction was a primary consideration in the design, as the existing school activities in 650 and 658 Broadview must remain in operation as construction progresses. The design incorporated the ability to phase the installation, which was one of the factors in selection the VRF air conditioning/ heating system.
The York School South Redevelopment
York School South is a private school providing education from Grade 6 to Grade 12 located at 1320 Yonge Street in Toronto. The existing building is 4 stories in height, and the redevelopment project renovates and modernizes all floors, plus adds a new York Café on the exterior of the building, which is a glass enclosure overlooking Yonge Street, and is a focal point of the facility.
Phasing of construction was a primary consideration in the design, as the construction took place while the school was in full operation for the 2016/2017 school year.
The York School North Redevelopment
York School North is a private school providing education from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 5 located at 1639 Yonge Street in Toronto. The existing building is 4 stories in height, and the redevelopment project renovated and modernizes all floors, plus added a full commercial kitchen and gymnasium to the existing building.
Royal St. George’s College Redevelopment
Royal St. George’s College is an independent school for boys providing education from Grade 3 to Grade 7 located at 120 Howland Avenue Street in Toronto. Major renovations included expansion and modernization of the existing Administration offices, Dining Hall, Commercial Kitchen, and classrooms in the existing Junior School Building. The project has phased construction over the summers of 2016 and 2017, and the design incorporated staging of installation to accommodate the occupancy during the 2016-2017 school year.
Alvin Curling Public School (TDSB)
New 64,000 ft2 two storey public school facility including gymnasium, classrooms, daycare centre, library, and administration offices. High efficiency gas fired heating boilers with ceiling mounted radiant ceiling panels, heat recovery units for ventilation air, full Building Automation System for building control system. Mechanical construction contract value: $1,845,000.
LONG TERM CARE/ RETIREMENT HOMES:
- Leisureworld Orillia: Three storey Long Term Care Facility, opened in 2006. Total floor area 84,000 square feet, 160 beds, commercial kitchen facility.
- Richmond Woods II Seniors Living Apartments, London, opened in 2010. 5 storey new construction, 127,345 square feet floor area plus underground parking. Total number of suites: 104.
- Bradford Valley Long Term Care Facility: Three storey long term care building, opened in 2010. 94 beds, 52,000 square feet total area. Opened in 2009.
- PeopleCare Long Term Care Facility, London: Three storey Long Term care Facility, opened in 2010. 160 beds, 95,000 square feet total area including commercial kitchen.
- Lepokoti Seniors Apartment Building, Sudbury. Three storey Seniors Apartment, 82 suites, commercial kitchen, 68,000 square feet total area. Opened in 2012.
- Winchester Glen Retirement Home, Oshawa. 5 storey retirement home, 189 suites, 190,000 square feet, with commercial kitchen, commercial laundry, 1 level heated underground garage. Construction start spring 2018.
- St. Elisabeth Home Society, Hamilton. 3 storey assisted living facility, 114 suites, 148,000 square feet, with 1 level heated underground garage. Commercial kitchen, indoor swimming pool. Construction start 2018.
TENANT RENOVATIONS: Representative projects include:
- College Boreal, 1 Toronto Street, Toronto. 46,000 ft2 tenant renovation converting office space into educational/ classroom spaces and administrative spaces. The project consists of classrooms, dental labs, video conferencing rooms, information technology labs, and administrative areas. GPY+ Associates was responsible for the mechanical design and contract administration services, including heating, ventilation and air conditioning system design, plumbing and drainage system design and sprinkler/ fire protection system design.
- Canadian Border Services Agency, International Centre, Toronto. 20,000 ft2 tenant renovation for high security tenancy. The design included Interview Rooms, secure administrative spaces, public washrooms and showers, and conventional administration areas. GPY+ Associates was responsible for the mechanical design and contract administration services, including heating, ventilation and air conditioning system design, plumbing and drainage system design and sprinkler/ fire protection system design.
- Interactive Offices, First Canadian Place, 37th floor, Toronto. 16,000 ft2 tenant renovation, including main waiting/ reception area, private offices, boardrooms, copy/ print rooms, and kitchenette. GPY+ Associates was responsible for the mechanical design and contract administration services, including heating, ventilation and air conditioning system design, plumbing and drainage system design and sprinkler/ fire protection system design.
OTHER OFFICE IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS:
- American Express Head Office Renovations, Markham ON
- United Health Group, 777 Bay Street, Toronto, ON
- Community Care Access Centre, Newmarket, ON
- E*Trade Canada, Toronto ON
- Mastercard, 2 St. Clair Avenue, Toronto, ON
- Enwave Office Renovations, Pearl Street, Toronto, ON
- Hilton Hotel, Toronto, ON
- OPP Administration Building, Peterborough, ON
- United Health Group, Toronto, ON
- Universal ATM, Etobicoke, Ontario
- Canadian Cancer Society, Toronto, Ontario
- Skytek Offices, 95 Mural Street, 6th floor Richmond Hill, Ontario
- First Canadian Place, 37th Floor Interactive Offices, Toronto, Ontario
- Bianchi and Presta Offices, Tuscany Place, Toronto, Ontario
- XE.com, Newmarket, ON.
- BBM Canada, Toronto, ON
- Evault, Toronto, ON.
- Quadrangle Architects head office, Toronto, ON
- Regional Architects/ Planning Alliance head office, Toronto, ON
- Shoeless Joe’s Restaurants: 27 locations in Ontario, including new restaurants and renovations to existing restaurants.
- Houston Steaks and Ribs: new Toronto and Barrie locations.